As the name implies, the Ethernet switch is a switch that transmits data over an Ethernet. It is structured in a way that each port is directly connected to the device and all work in full-duplex mode. The switch can connect multiple pairs of ports at the same time, which allows each pair of communicating hosts to transmit data independently without conflict. The interconnection can be achieved by providing network interfaces: the main function of the Ethernet Switch in the network system is to provide network interfaces for network devices to achieve interconnection between devices.
With the popularization of 100M, Gigabit, and 10G local area networks, the industrial Ethernet Switch is deploying more and more applications in backbone networks, data centers and server rooms that support high bandwidth. Ethernet switch is a type of network device based on Ethernet to achieve data transmission and exchange. So, what are its main functions?
Basic functions of the Ethernet Switch
1. It can provide network interfaces to achieve interconnection: The main function of the Ethernet Switch in the network system is to provide network interfaces for network devices to achieve the interconnection between devices.
2. It has the extensible network interface: In general, the Ethernet Switch has up to 48 ports. When the network demand is large, the Ethernet Switch can be stacked to meet the network demand.
3. It has the extensible network range: The connection between the Ethernet Switch and network devices depends on the transmission medium. However, based on different network technologies, the Ethernet Switch has different and limited transmission distances for each transmission medium. When the network coverage area is large, the Ethernet Switch will relay to double the transmission distance and increase the network range.
4. The learning function of the Ethernet Switch: The Ethernet Switch knows the MAC address of each connected device on each port. Also, the MAC address is mapped to the corresponding port and stored in the cached MAC address table of the Switch.
5. The forwarding/filtering function of the Ethernet Switch: When the destination address of a data frame is mapped in the MAC address table, it will be forwarded to the connected destination port.
6. The loop elimination function of the Ethernet Switch: With a redundant loop of the Ethernet Switch, it can avoid generating loops through the spanning tree protocol and allow the existence of a backup path.