Disadvantages of unmanaged industrial ethernet switches:
(1) Unmanaged industrial ethernet switches have limited functions and are suitable for home or small networks.
(2) Unmanaged industrial ethernet switch do not support ARP protection.
The arp attack is not a virus and almost all anti-virus software can do nothing about it; but it is better than a virus—because it can slow down the communication, paralyze the network, and cause information leakage.
(3) unmanaged industrial ethernet switch does not support the binding of mac addresses
(4) Unmanaged industrial ethernet switches do not support vlan division
The end users connected to the unmanaged industrial ethernet switch are in the same broadcast domain, and a broadcast storm will erupt, which cannot be protected or suppressed. Congestion, blocking, and flooding of the entire network lead to paralysis of the entire network.
(5) Unmanaged industrial ethernet switches do not support flow-based control
(6) Unmanaged industrial ethernet switches have poor data transmission reliability and serious packet loss.
(7) The unmanaged industrial ethernet switch has a single assembly and cannot be used in large and medium-sized networks. There are major limitations on network upgrades and expansion.
(8) The management of unmanaged industrial ethernet switches is inconvenient, and the hardware failure rate is relatively high.
Advantages of unmanaged industrial ethernet switches:
(1) The price is cheap and saves expenses.
(2) The number of ports is dense.
(3) Flexible use by users.
The advantages of managed industrial ethernet switche.
(1) The backplane of the managed industrial ethernet switch has a large bandwidth and a faster data forwarding speed.
(2) The network management type industrial ethernet switch is flexible in networking, and applies to the access layer of large and medium-sized networks.
(3) The ports provided by the managed industrial ethernet switches are flexible, and different interface forms such as SFP, GE, fast Ethernet, Ethernet and so on can be selected according to the application of the network.
(4) The network management type industrial ethernet switch supports vlan division, users can carry out regional division for different applications, and effectively control and manage the network. Further restrain the broadcast storm.
(5) The network-managed industrial Ethernet switch has a large data throughput (Throughput), a small packet loss rate (PacketLoss), and a low latency (Latency).
(6) The managed industrial ethernet switch can control the data information flow based on the source, destination, and network segment.
(7) Link aggregation allows switches and switches and servers to be bound together through multiple ethernet ports to achieve load balancing.
(8) The managed industrial ethernet switch has the ARP protection function, which improves the reduction of network ARP spoofing
(9) The network management type industrial ethernet switch has the binding of MAC address.
(10) The port mirroring function of the network management type industrial ethernet switch can copy the flow and status of one port to another port of the switch for supervision
(11) The managed industrial ethernet switch supports the function of DHCP.
(12) The access control list can control IP data packets, such as restricting its traffic, access, and providing QoS, etc.
(13) Network-managed industrial ethernet switches have better security performance: all switches can perform MAC address filtering, MAC address lock, and can build a static MAC forwarding table.
(14) The managed industrial ethernet switch can support IEEE802.1Q and VLAN based on port technology. GVRP (GARP, VLAN Registration Protocol) and GMRP (GARP Multicast Registration Protocol) involved in IEEE802.1QVLAN are also widely supported.
(15) The network management type industrial ethernet switch has SNMP function, which can better manage and control the network.
(16) The network management type industrial ethernet switch is easy to expand, flexible application, and can be managed through network management software, and it can also be accessed remotely through its own access control, increasing the security and controlling ability of the network.
Disadvantages of managed industrial ethernet switches
(1) Slightly more expensive than unmanaged industrial ethernet switches.
(2) Compared with unmanaged industrial ethernet switches, the operation is more complicated and requires configuration.